Thursday, May 24, 2012

WW Cooking Advice

Adding to what I wrote last night, I just want to say that I'm re-learning a lot about cooking! (I did 2 summers of 4H cooking. I swear I used to know a lot about it! But this is what happens when you don't utilize your skills!)

For example, don't just look over the list of ingredients to decide if you can make a meal. Daryn and I really wanted to try out this recipe and bought all the necessary ingredients. Only, I went to make it and discovered I was missing this amazing tool! Granted, I finally decided that I could just put it in my regular blender 2 cups at a time, but that was so much extra work and mess! I resolved to do it anyway, but then I discovered that our potatoes were rotten. Ew. So we have yet to try this meal - we will though!

Lesson: Check for tools as well as ingredients in a recipe!

The other meal I goofed on was this one. SO good! But it called for 1 cup packed basil. Daryn bought dried basil. Guess what, you don't have to pack dried basil. And according to this it looks like you really just don't want to use dried basil for pesto. BUT, in most cases if you're using dry herbs when you're supposed to use fresh, you should cut it in half or in a third.

I didn't.

Oh man, that pesto was gross!

Daryn doused his in marinara sauce and I doused mine in parmesan, so it was edible, but wow, that was quite the cooking error. I DO want to eat it again, though. You know, when it's made the right way. ;)

Lesson: Check for substitution rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment