Sunday, June 10, 2012

A few things to remember

Just a little recap of this last week for my own benefit. Wednesdays classes went okay, but next week I won't let Rebekah choose between the zoo and the mall (I seriously thought she'd pick the mall)! We went to the zoo, and I brought a cooler with us for lunch, but Rebekah wanted to see ALL the animals. Duh, Mom, you can't go to the zoo and only see a couple animals and eat lunch. It didn't help that Rebekah woke up early that day and was ready for a nap before Ballet- her first class! Fortunately, we made it through. The hardest was swim at the end of the day because Rebekah is the youngest in her class and I had to wake her up from a 2 hour nap to get her there (a little late). The older kids splash a lot and are impatient when she's in front of them while they are "monkey crawling" across the wall of the pool. She doesn't move as fast and they push into her. :( Fortunately, her swim coach is a patient and friendly young man who notices the problem and helps Rebekah move away from the offending older child. I think he wants to lecture the kid a little, too, and he makes a short comment, but since classes are only 30 min I understand the need to keep moving and mostly ignore distractions to attempt to keep everyone focused.

Wednesday was also my little brother's 22 birthday! Happy birthday, Ammon. I love you!

Thursday I went grocery shopping. This is kind of funny because it seems like most people have one spouse do the shopping. I did when Daryn and I were first married, but that was forever ago. For a long time, it was kind of the way we went "out" - need to get out of the house? Go grocery shopping together. It's a walk, in an air conditioned building and you can converse while you stroll down the various aisles getting your food. You can also bargain on which treats you will/won't purchase. ;)

And we've done this for 4 years! But now that we're out of school, we don't have nearly as much time together and there are plenty of other things we'd rather do than just got shopping, so I'm working on taking over the shopping again. (Oh, and since Daryn was the cook, he mostly did the shopping and I pushed the cart.) It's interesting to try and figure out how to buy good produce - and not very easy! I'd say that's the hardest part, actually.

The second hardest part is the kids. :) Now, if Bekah had been awake, I think I could have done fine. She'd be old enough to walk, Josiah would go in the cart and we're good to go. But, Rebekah fell asleep in the car. So, I had to put her in the cart and Josiah's carrier on the basket of the cart. This very much limited the amount of space in my cart! I don't think I've stacked so many little boxes and things underneath before, but I managed to get it all in. About the time Rebekah was waking up, Josiah was falling asleep. So that let me finish the shopping in relative peace.

I am thankful for the bag boy who helped me load a second cart, take it all to my car and pack my groceries in my trunk for me. I've never needed that service before, but I imagine I will need it again!

Friday and Saturday were great. Jeanette, my MIL, came down for a visit that we planned over a month ago and the kids LOVE her (and so do I)! Josiah wouldn't let me hold him as long as Jeanette was at our house - unless he wanted to nurse, which was almost never. We went to Chick Fil A for lunch, bought Rebekah some ballet shoes, checked out books at the library, and that night, after Daryn made a delicious Chicken Taco salad, my hubby and I got to go on a much needed date.

We went and saw MIB III. It was so good! I actually had tears in my eyes at the end. Granted, being pregnant, everything makes me cry, but DARYN had tears in his, too. It was great. And thanks to my awesome friend who works at the theatre, we got to go for free. :)

Saturday I made my own liquid laundry soap! I'm not sure it came out right, but we'll see! I've been meaning to do this for a long time. Then, Daryn and I went out again by ourselves to finish up some shopping - wedding gifts and birthday presents. Then we saw our friend Steve for lunch and met his girlfriend - they were down from Utah to go to a wedding reception (I think). Or, maybe that was their excuse to meet each other's families and friends. I think that was the real reason. :) It was nice to see Steve, and his girl seems pretty good for him. I'd really love to see it work out for him this time - he needs a wife!

That afternoon Jeanette headed home while I took a nap, and then we took the kids to a wedding reception for the daughter of a friend from church. Everything was beautiful! I had fun and saw a lot of people I know both from my ward and my sister's ward - because the groom was from my sister's ward. How fun is that? Such a small world. Rebekah really loves the bride, and almost missed the party because she slept the whole time (Nana sure wears her out!) but she woke up long enough to get in a hug and see the bride's pretty Princess dress and invite her to Rebekah's own Princess party next month. (Rebekah is SO excited about her birthday party!) This helped me a TON when Rebekah woke up in the middle of the night, crying about missing the wedding party. I reminded her that she didn't miss it all and that helped her calm down and get back to sleep.

Today has been rather easy going - just how we love our Sundays to be. I taught Sunbeams again today; our lesson was on our nose and mouth and how we can smell and taste, so I got to bring in a lot of food and things for the kids to try. To smell I brought: soap, lotion, vinegar, water, pickles, onions, and a lime. Then the kids got to taste Wheat thins, graham crackers, lime and banana. Only a few kids chose to try the lime. I wish I'd handed them all a piece and had them lick it at the same time, but since I went one by one, only a few brave souls dared to taste it. The rest were warned off by horrible faces! It was pretty adorable.

This afternoon we've watched a movie and Daryn's made our meals. I LOVE that he's still helping with the meals - especially on the weekends. I've been very tired lately - partly from the pregnancy, and partly from Rebekah and Josiah taking turns waking me up, but what's new? Such is the life of a mom! :)

Now, Josiah is playing the "throw things off my tray and say 'uh-oh'" game to get Daryn's attention, so I should go take care of him so Daryn can finish making dinner.

The only bummer this weekend: Our friends were supposed to come up to visit from Ft Huachuca, but he was sick and so they had to cancel our BBQ plans. :( Maybe another week!

This week: I REALLY need to do some laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment