Friday, September 4, 2009

August 24 - September 4




First on the list of things to catch up on! :)

Start of Semester 8-24

Actually, there's not much to say about the start f the semester itself, so I'll just talk about school in general. I'm taking 4 classes: History of Mathematics, Math Synthesis, Methods Part II and a class about adjusting my teaching methods for students with disabilities. Daryn has 4 classes too - only one of them is in person. He watches Rebekah while I'm in class and at observations (which I'll tell you about later).

Monday nights, though, we're both in class, so our friends Grant and Carrie take Rebekah for the evening. We pay them by watching their daughter, Cairn, Monday mornings and Friday mornings while the two of them are in class. So it works out great! We're very grateful for their friendship and all of their help.

None of my classes start until later in the afternoon, and that's really weird for me. I much prefer to get up in the morning and get straight to class so that I can spend my afternoon actively doing other things. It's hard to get up in the morning and just get to work without going somewhere first! But I certainly have enjoyed quite a few lazy mornings where Daryn makes me a big delicious breakfast. :)

I think Math history is really interesting. I'm nervous about the research paper that's 50% of my grade, but I think I'll be okay. I've gotten decent grades on 2 of the 4 tests so far.

Math Synthesis is a waste of time, but that's b/c of the teacher. He's a great guy, but kind of crazy. This is my 4th class with him, and I would have taken it from someone different if that were a choice, but this is the only section. I just don't like his style of teaching. Of the 3 classes I've had with him so far, I failed one, got a C in another, and Aced the third. I thought I was getting the hang of him, but this class is not as easy going as the last one is, so we'll see what happens. I think I'm between a C or B right now. :(

My Methods class is cool. I liked the teacher that taught the first half better, but I like this teacher too. WE gone over a lot of different stuff and are preparing for Student Teaching. Part of this semester is Observations/Practicum. Basically we get eased into student teaching. For Practicum we first observe in the class, then slowly participate in a variety of class activities: individual tutoring, bell work, homework, administrative duties, and finally 3 hours of teaching! Then we put that all into a portfolio for a grade. O_o I have a lot of typing to do in the next 2 weeks!

Jeanette and Renee's visit 9-2

So, Daryn and I have been cutting back on how much we go to Phoenix. It's easier to do now that my parents aren't living there. Usually I go up a lot for family events... but not anymore! :( Anyway, Jeanette and Renee (Daryn's mom and sister) were missing Rebekah something fierce, so they came down to visit for the day. :) It was really great - Daryn and I got to go see a movie (Transformers 2) and when we got back, our kitchen was cleaned! I know Rebekah loved playing with her Nana and Aunt Renee, and we were all sad to see them go.


I was particularly pleased with the timing of their visit because on September 1 it had been 3 years since Daryn has been baptized (Sept 3 was his confirmation date). So that's what we celebrated on our little date to the movies. :)

Also, I got some more pictures from Kati from Rebekah's Tucson Birthday Party, and I wanted to share this one: I love my family! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment