Thursday, July 15, 2010

Family Reunion at Bear Lake


I am SO sad! I didn't keep a journal of our vacation to Utah very well, and then neglected to write about for nearly a year. :( AND, there was only one day of the whole trip that I actually took pictures!

We ended up getting a rental car (insurance did not cover it - our bad for not having it on our plan) and driving up to my parents house. We stayed there several days and celebrated my dad's birthday (4th of July) with him and most of my family. Then when it was time, we went to Bear Lake in my parents van so we could keep the mileage down on the rental.

Even though Daryn had taken the week off from work, he ended up working a lot by phone. It wasn't too bad because with his bad knee (remember, the piano) he couldn't go water skiing the day we did that, and even the sea doo wasn't very kind to him.

The water at the lake was freezing! When I tried to water ski, it was so cold it made me cry and I chickened out and didn't go. Kati was super supportive and tried to help me not be scared in the first place, but after I climbed back in the boat, she admitted she kinda wanted to scream when she jumped in b/c it was so cold, but she didn't want to freak me out. :) Thanks, Kati. Maybe I won't be such a pansy next time!

On the up side, the water was super high at the lake, so there was a huge shallow area for kids to play, and then sun warmed that top layer of water pretty well. I'm more interested in sand castles and shallow water at a beach anyway. :)




Back at the campground, many of our nights were filled with games like Scum, and Spoons. :) Cousins are such fun! There were also activities - mainly for the great-grandkids. Painting snakes: (and arms, in Bekah's case)



making toy boats, and some of the family helped set up stations for the kids to learn about things from when Grandma Pike was a little girl. I saw my cousins' kids listening to Grandma Pike and had to get some pictures.



We also had a day where each family - broken into my dad's siblings families, so all the Doug Pike kids and grandkids were one group - made up a little skit to entertain the rest of the family. They were very cute!

I loved the time we were up there. It was interesting to me to note that I was the youngest of the married grandchildren, and the next oldest lives in Germany, so even being married and having a kid, I sometimes had this weird feeling like I was the young cousin trying to tag along with the older cousins. Thank goodness no one treated me that way! It was just an odd observation that I considered now and again. (BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm still the youngest grandchild who is married. 6/2011)

If I remember correctly, when the reunion was over and we went back to Mom and Dad's, Daryn and I left for home the next day, so Daryn wouldn't miss too much work. That, and we needed to return the rental and cut down on costs there. :/ I LOVED being up in Utah with my family, and missed it as soon as I was gone, but it sure was fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment